This blog is about my birding exploits, which mainly take place in the Weymouth/Portland area, in Dorset. Will also include stuff from elsewhere, plus some other critters too. Hope you enjoy. All photographs are © Brett Spencer, unless indicated otherwise. The above image is of a Siberian Rubythroat, taken in Holland in 2016.

Saturday, 5 May 2012

Always Carry Your Binoculars, Especially Where Fleet Ticks Are Concerned

Didn't intend to do any birding today, as I had my mother visiting. So, whilst my wife Karen sorted out the house a little, I was given dog walking duty. Now, sometimes I take some bins with me and sometimes I don't. On this occasion I didn't. So, as I'm walking down the road, on the very boundary of The Fleet recording area, what should I happen to look up and see? Not 1, but a group of 5, yes 5White Storks. I could, in hindsight, have taken a record shot with my mobile phone, but my first instinct was to get the news out. The next person to see them was my wife, who watched them from the bedroom window. She's now seen 6 White Storks from the house. How annoying is that, one of the best birds seen from my house and I have yet to see one of these beasts from there, grrrr. I then got a call from Paul to say he had connected with them and despite me searching for them after he called, I soon learned that the beastly things then decided to pay Portland a visit. Still, a Fleet tick for me and an especially satisfying one too, as the last and only White Storks I had found previously on The Fleet, 2 together in 1990, had escaped from Whipsnade Zoo, so were uncountable. These, of course had arrived elsewhere in the country and have been extremely mobile subsequently and have been seen to be unringed. Also, they seem to have coincided with a bit of an influx of this species into the country, so no doubt about these birds credentials in my mind.


Check out a pic of 3 of the White Storks here. There you go, I'm even giving the Portland Bird Observatory some free advertising. How good is that?




The Fleet Vs Portland Update


The Fleet = 37 points, with Kentish Plover and 5 White Storks adding to the score.


Portland = 16 points, with the 5 White Storks that they stole from, I mean shared with us, adding to the score.

3 comments:

Opticron Binoculars said...

Storks image is marvelous. Nice post,really liked it.

KPITB said...

A shot worth of thousand words.

Anashia said...

Binoculars are small things but make your trip amazingly full of fun.and it would always be fun to carry it with you.