This blog is about my birding exploits, which mainly take place in the Weymouth/Portland area, in Dorset. Will also include stuff from elsewhere, plus some other critters too. Hope you enjoy. All photographs are © Brett Spencer, unless indicated otherwise. The above image is of a Siberian Rubythroat, taken in Holland in 2016.

Friday, 29 June 2012

Blast From The Past (July)

Well, it really has been the June doldrums, hasn't it? Not only has the weather been crap, but not much has turned up locally to get us excited. To compound matters, I've been totally off the boil and at present, I'm just getting over a nasty virus. Let's hope I can get myself into it in July. 


In fact, looking back over the years, June and July isn't so bad. With late spring overshoots and early returning waders providing a wealth of quality over the years in Dorset. Let's cast our minds back shall we.
Who could forget these quality birds,


The stunning summer plumaged Glossy Ibis at Radipole Lake in June 1987. When it was still a truly rare bird.


The summer plumaged Pacific Golden Plover at Christchurch in July 1990.


The Olivaceous Warbler on Portland in July 1999.


The male Eastern Black-eared Wheatear at Upton Heath in June 2000.


The Sykes's Warbler on Portland in July 2000.


The male Black-headed Bunting on Portland in July 2000.


The summer plumaged Stilt Sandpiper on Lodmoor in July 2011.


Plus a host of other good birds I've seen during these months, namely, Black-winged Stilt, Purple Herons, Grey-headed Wagtail, Golden Orioles, Caspian Terns, Night Heron, Greenish Warblers, Hoopoe, Bee-eaters, Red-footed Falcon, Woodchat Shrikes, Red-backed Shrikes, Common Rosefinch, White-winged Black Tern, Savi's Warbler, Wryneck, Red-rumped Swallow, Iberian Chiffchaff,  Honey Buzzards, Rose-coloured Starlings, Marsh Warblers, Montagu's Harriers, Kentish Plover, Serins, Cattle Egret, Bluethroat, Great White Egrets, Spotted Sandpiper, Squacco Herons, Eastern Subalpine Warbler, Gull-billed Tern and Stone Curlew.


And I'm off the boil, jeez!


Haven't got many photos to show you, well, I have two actually. They're both crap, but one, from a Dorset perspective is pretty gripping. So here goes.


So, here's the gripping one. The male Grey-headed Wagtail on Lodmoor in 1990. I scanned this photo from the print that I had taken. As far as I'm aware, this is the only photo taken of this long staying bird. A real Dorset rarity.


And finally, the Stilt Sandpiper that graced Lodmoor in 2011. Shocking photo I know, but it's the only one I have.


The Fleet Vs Portland Update.


The Fleet = remains on 46 points.
Portland = remains on 27 points. I did think, "should I add a point for Hawfinch", and in the end I thought, "nah!"


Actually, at the end of the year, I might add bonus points if certain species have been recorded at the respective sites. Remember though, you'll only get one point per species, NOT one point per individual. For example, it doesn't matter how many Poms you've had, you'll still only get one point. Anyway, in the scheme of things, it may not matter, but if the scores are close, it may make all the difference. Fun, isn't it?

Well, we're halfway through the year and The Fleet is well and truly on top. Of course, I expect Portland to close the gap considerably during the next six months. It has to be said, I think Portland has had a rather mediocre spring when it comes to rarities. Anyway, it's all to play for.



No comments: