This blog is about my birding exploits, which mainly take place in the Weymouth/Portland area, in Dorset. Will also include stuff from elsewhere, plus some other critters too. Hope you enjoy. All photographs are © Brett Spencer, unless indicated otherwise. The above image is of a Siberian Rubythroat, taken in Holland in 2016.

Saturday, 29 September 2012

What A Lovely Day

I've got raging toothache, but that wasn't going to stop me spending time with my good friend Richard, who had come down from Somerset for the day. So, a blast of pain killers and we were away. First stop was Portland, where we eventually got good views of the juvenile Red-backed Shrike.



Next, the draw of The Fleet was too much to bare. At Ferrybridge, singles of Curlew Sandpiper, Sanderling and 3 Bar-tailed Godwits was the best we could do.

Juvenile Curlew Sandpiper.

Yesterday evening I went in search of a Wryneck that my friend Ian had found at Tidmoor, The Fleet, but alas I didn't succeed in the time that I had. Did get a nice photo of a Wheatear at Littlesea though.


With the Red-backed Shrike still on Portland, I thought there would be a good chance the Wryneck would still be lurking on Tidmoor somewhere today. And sure enough we got lucky, because this is a place that has such a lot of good places for a Wryneck to hide in.



Otherwise, both Tidmoor and Littlesea were very quiet. Certainly, it seemed quality not quantity was the order of the day. We finished the day at Lodmoor, where we were treated to stunning views of the Short-billed Dowitcher, which is now moulting into 1st-winter plumage. I was so pleased with the following images of this bird.



Check out the scary Grey Heron reflection behind. I don't think the Short-billed Dowitcher was too happy about it either.

We finished the day with a Marsh Harrier, but I was so chuffed with the dowitcher pics, I forgot to photograph it.

2 comments:

Peter Moore said...

Great Dowitcher pictures Brett - thanks again for the shout! Pete

John said...

I would be pleased with any of these photos, they are great!
J
Follow me at HEDGELAND TALES