This blog is about my birding exploits, which mainly take place in the Weymouth/Portland area, in Dorset. Will also include stuff from elsewhere, plus some other critters too. Hope you enjoy. All photographs are © Brett Spencer, unless indicated otherwise. The above image is of a Siberian Rubythroat, taken in Holland in 2016.

Saturday, 27 October 2012

Crap Record Shots

Yes, these certainly were the order of the day, well, as Owls were concerned anyway. So, here we go.


First up, a Short-eared Owl. Note pattern of underwing tip.

And now, a Long-eared Owl. Note pattern of underwing tip. I know it looks like it's bum has exploded, but I'm pretty sure that's not an identification feature.

I did actually get an excellent on the deck view of the Long-eared Owl, but it was a case of, walk round the corner and there it was, looking at me and me looking at it. A couple of seconds later and it was off. Nothing I could have done about that, it's just one of those things and totally accidental. Shame, as it would have been lovely to get some on the deck photos.

What else did we see on Portland, other than more of the Daurian Shrike. Well, not a great deal, so I'll dish you up some more crap photos, as well as a couple of good pics.

Ring Ouzel from the front.

Ring Ouzel from the back.

A stunning male Black Redstart.

A slightly better shot of him.

Now, why couldn't the male perform like this?

Lovely.

And what should I see back home? Yes, you've guessed it, another Black Redstart.

No comments: