This blog is about my birding exploits, which mainly take place in the Weymouth/Portland area, in Dorset. Will also include stuff from elsewhere, plus some other critters too. Hope you enjoy. All photographs are © Brett Spencer, unless indicated otherwise. The above image is of a Siberian Rubythroat, taken in Holland in 2016.

Tuesday, 23 October 2012

Isabelline Shrike On Portland

Being unwell is really no fun, so I thought, "bugger this, I'm gonna go out and get some fresh air and look for some birds at Littlesea." So, I'd gone round the Bridging Camp, where there had been an influx of Black Redstarts, with 6 present. A good start I was thinking.


One of the Black Redstarts. A cracking male.

I'd got round to the path that goes down towards the holiday camp and the wood, when I got a text from Paul. Well, this elicited a quick about turn and saw me walking at pace to get back to the car. And so, it was off to Portland, which is certainly on a roll at the moment, for a bird that I have been waiting to see for years. I wasn't to be disappointed.


A stunning adult male Isabelline Shrike of the nominate form isabellinus, colloquially known as Daurian Shrike


Crap flight shot, that a least shows the amount of pale at the base of the primaries.


A beautiful bird.

Well done to the finders and thanks to them and Paul for getting me onto this wonderful bird. My personal highlight of the year locally.

2 comments:

Ken Tucker said...

"And so, it was off to Portland, which is certainly on a roll at the moment"... why, what else has there been recently of note? Personally, I've not seen anything better than a sub-alp. Something you're not telling us? Hmmmm

K

Narwhal said...

Hi Brett

Is there a photo missing from your recent October gallery?