This blog is about my birding exploits, which mainly take place in the Weymouth/Portland area, in Dorset. Will also include stuff from elsewhere, plus some other critters too. Hope you enjoy. All photographs are © Brett Spencer, unless indicated otherwise. The above image is of a Siberian Rubythroat, taken in Holland in 2016.

Monday, 31 December 2012

New For 2013

Firstly, back to yesterday. Spent the morning birding Weymouth Bay and Portland Harbour.  Highlights were 6 Great Northern Divers and 5 Red-throated Divers in Weymouth Bay, 2 Black Redstarts at The Nothe, whilst Portland Harbour returned totals of 5 Great Northern Divers, 5 Slavonian Grebes, 13 Black-necked Grebes, 2 Velvet Scoters and an Eider.

2 Slavonian Grebes from Sandsfoot Castle.

A bit of a closer view of one of those Slavonian Grebes.

Great Northern Diver in Portland Harbour from Sandsfoot Castle.

So, it's nearly 2013. So what's new for this blog.

Inspired by Nick Hopper's 2012 photographic year list, I have decided to do my own in 2013. The difference between mine and the one that Nick has done, is that the list will be of identifiable forms and I will be restricted to an area of 10km square. The area this will cover is The Fleet from Rodden Hive in the west to Ferrybridge in east, with sea to the south and north of this to Rodden village in the west to Chalbury Fort in the east. The area also takes in most of Portland Harbour and Weymouth Bay. The Littlesea area of The Fleet will figure prominently in this challenge, as I want the blog to feature a patch. I have given myself a target of 165 forms and all photos should be of reasonable quality and the forms should be identifiable from the images taken. Should be fun I think. Hopefully it should concentrate my efforts at finding stuff, but it doesn't mean I'm not gonna be birding elsewhere.

2012 saw The Fleet Vs Portland, but this was a one off event. Wanting to get people out looking, 2013 will see the DORSET  RARE  BIRD  OF  THE  YEAR  AWARD.  There are rules of course and these are:

1. The bird has to be well observed and appreciated by more than a few people.

2. The bird has to be well photographed.

I'm hoping to get an adjudication panel together to vote on the bird that deserves the award and a presentation will be made to the finder of the bird, of which a venue has yet to be arranged. Hopefully we can make an evening of it to bring local birders together. I will keep you updated regularly as the year progresses.

I'm also thinking of somehow getting readers of this blog more involved, but don't quite know how to go about this just yet. For instance, by way of a poll on a certain subject.

Finally, I like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a very happy 2013. Good birding to everyone.

No comments: