This blog is about my birding exploits, which mainly take place in the Weymouth/Portland area, in Dorset. Will also include stuff from elsewhere, plus some other critters too. Hope you enjoy. All photographs are © Brett Spencer, unless indicated otherwise. The above image is of a Siberian Rubythroat, taken in Holland in 2016.

Sunday, 2 December 2012

Warbler Frustrations

Started the weekend by dipping on the Dusky Warbler, that had been at West Bexington Friday afternoon. No excuses really, as I could have seen it on the Friday, had I not been lazy. Instead I'd headed off to the pub. A few Red-throated Divers, a couple of Bearded Reedlings and a couple of Chiffchaffs weren't really much compensation.

Red-throated Diver.

Male Bearded Reedling.

Today, I found a Lesser Whitethroat in my garden. Unfortunately was looking into the light at it, so couldn't really ascertain colour tones correctly. It soon flew off. I relocated it on the estate later on, but again, I was looking into the Sun at it. After getting a couple of record shots, it then led me a merry dance, proving mobile. Alas, I lost it eventually, having not being able to assign to race.


A couple of crap record shots of the Lesser Whitethroat. Is it an eastern one?

Finally, paid a brief visit to Butterstreet, on The Fleet this afternoon. The best I could manage was 11 Pale-bellied Brent Geese.


I think that balloon thing is suppose to scare the geese. Hmmm, don't think it's working. Note the two Pale-bellied Brent Geese with the Dark-bellied Brents.

The male of the Pale-bellied Brent pair had a sizable neck band.

Some more Pale-bellied Brent Geese.




And Finally, a couple of Dark-bellied Brent Geese shots.

Adult.

1st-winter bird.

No comments: