This blog is about my birding exploits, which mainly take place in the Weymouth/Portland area, in Dorset. Will also include stuff from elsewhere, plus some other critters too. Hope you enjoy. All photographs are © Brett Spencer, unless indicated otherwise. The above image is of a Siberian Rubythroat, taken in Holland in 2016.

Thursday, 31 January 2013

Siberian Lesser Whitethroat

Do you remember this bird?


This Lesser Whitethroat turned up in my garden on 2nd December 2012. Sadly the views obtained couldn't identify it subspecifically.

Well, in a garden not too far away from my own, guess what has been refound?


Yes, you guessed it, that Lesser Whitethroat. Here, the views were much better and the bird could be seen to be showing characteristics of the form Sylvia curruca blythi colloquially known as Siberian Lesser Whitethroat.

Firstly, I must thank Bob and Tricia for refinding it and putting the news out to a local friend of mine. Also, for their kind permission and hospitality in letting me enter their house, in order for me to document this bird.

Sadly, this bird can't be viewed from outside their property and I must respect their right to privacy.



Note the contrast between  the grey crown and browner nape and back and also the pattern of the outermost tail feather.




No comments: