This blog is about my birding exploits, which mainly take place in the Weymouth/Portland area, in Dorset. Will also include stuff from elsewhere, plus some other critters too. Hope you enjoy. All photographs are © Brett Spencer, unless indicated otherwise. The above image is of a Siberian Rubythroat, taken in Holland in 2016.

Friday, 8 February 2013

Give It Another Go

This morning I popped out to check out a site for Hawfinches, with no success. On the way back home I decided to pay Portland Harbour a visit, to see if I could improve on those terrible Eider photos. Well, no success on the Eider, but did manage just as terrible a photo of a Red-necked Grebe. Other scarcer grebes comprised 18+ Black-necked and 8 Slavonian Grebes. The 2 Velvet Scoters were still present, as was a single Great Northern Diver.

I told you it was bad. Anyway, I still think this Red-necked Grebe is identifiable from this image.



A bevy of Slavonian Grebes.

And here's a closer view.


My improved shots of Velvet Scoter.

Check out the white wing patch.

Both birds are 1st-year males. Note the yellow colouration on the bill sides.

My 10km square photo year list has now increased to 73.

No comments: