This blog is about my birding exploits, which mainly take place in the Weymouth/Portland area, in Dorset. Will also include stuff from elsewhere, plus some other critters too. Hope you enjoy. All photographs are © Brett Spencer, unless indicated otherwise. The above image is of a Siberian Rubythroat, taken in Holland in 2016.

Tuesday, 5 March 2013

The Day Started Out Nuts And Finished With The Owl Show.

My first port of call was Wyke Wood, which is the only place in my 10km square where you can regularly find Nuthatch and Marsh Tit. Sadly, failed to connect with Marsh Tit, but.....



Did see a Nuthatch.

Another couple of photo year ticks included....


Pheasant. This male being lit up by the morning sun.

And Treecreeper. A crap record shot.

After my morning woodland walk, I then went on to pick up Fred and take him back to my house for another attempt at the Siberian Chiffchaff.


Well, it was third time lucky for Fred, with the Siberian Chiffchaff appearing in my back garden after a little wait. This photo was taken through the kitchen window.

After popping around to Ian's, me and Fred continued onto Littlesea on The Fleet. Whilst Fred stayed in the car, I had a wander. The most notable things were 14 Little Grebes, which was a good count for there and a single Shag. I did at least add Redshank to the photo year list.


Redshank.

On almost reaching the car, a distinctive shape flying from the Chesil Beach and over the Fleet got me all excited. I scrambled for my phone to let Fred know that there was a Short-eared Owl heading his way. The bird showed brilliantly at the end of Camp Road, where dog walkers informed me that they had been seeing this bird regularly for the last three weeks.







Note the wonky right eye on this Short-eared Owl. It looks kind of mad I reckon.

Nearby, in the disused army camp....






A Barn Owl put on a marvelous display.

My 10km square photo year list has now increased to 91.

1 comment:

Karen Woolley said...

Wow! Lucky you! What cracking owl photos.

I see great minds think alike, I too went out looking for Nuthatch and Marsh Tit this morning :-)