This blog is about my birding exploits, which mainly take place in the Weymouth/Portland area, in Dorset. Will also include stuff from elsewhere, plus some other critters too. Hope you enjoy. All photographs are © Brett Spencer, unless indicated otherwise. The above image is of a Siberian Rubythroat, taken in Holland in 2016.

Sunday, 29 September 2013

Rosefinch

Just a duff record shot of today's very elusive Rosefinch in the Portland Bird Observatory garden.

I actually saw it better than this, but it never stayed in one place long enough for me to get the camera on it.

Didn't see much else whilst up there, with singles of Hobby and Redstart and a few Whinchats the only other birds of note.

Whinchat.

Have had the dreaded lurgy this week, so haven't done anything in the way of real birding. It's been doing my head in. I bloody hate being ill. Still, the Rosefinch cheered me up today. 

You'll notice I'm not calling it Common Rosefinch. Do we call Waxwings Bohemian Waxwing or Wheatears Northern Wheatear? The answer is no, so stop calling Rosefinches Common Rosefinch.

No comments: