This blog is about my birding exploits, which mainly take place in the Weymouth/Portland area, in Dorset. Will also include stuff from elsewhere, plus some other critters too. Hope you enjoy. All photographs are © Brett Spencer, unless indicated otherwise. The above image is of a Siberian Rubythroat, taken in Holland in 2016.

Saturday, 7 September 2013

You Win Some, You Lose Some

I spent the day at Portland Bill and had something of a frustrating day. It all started well with good views of the long staying Nightingale in the Obs Quarry. Little Owl and 3 Redstarts were also present. 

Things were about to turn sour though. I was in the quarry trying to improve on me Nightingale shots and got distracted by a cracking male Redstart. A small group of observers arrived on the top edge of the quarry above me and whilst I was trying to get them onto the Redstart, they flush a Corncrake. Sadly, from where I was stood I couldn't see it and subsequently, despite searching, never saw it. BUMMER!!!  

I then wandered off, despite a Wryneck being on view elsewhere, and went off to try and find my own birds. I failed dismally of course, with nothing better than a White Wagtail to show for my efforts. 

On my way back through the top fields I was informed of another Wryneck, that I looked for briefly and failed to connect with. I then bumped into Paul and Jill who told me that an Ortolan Bunting had been seen in Helen's Fields. Despite looking, we failed to locate it. Compensation came in the form of a humbug that Jill kindly offered me, cheers Jill. On walking back to the Obs and heading towards the privet hedge, we accidentally flushed the Ortolan off the path. Luckily, it stayed in the general vicinity and performed reasonably well, much to the delight of the gathering throng of other observers. 

Nightingale. Just hearing the various calls from this bird was entertainment enough.

White Wagtail.


And finally, the Ortolan Bunting.

No comments: