This blog is about my birding exploits, which mainly take place in the Weymouth/Portland area, in Dorset. Will also include stuff from elsewhere, plus some other critters too. Hope you enjoy. All photographs are © Brett Spencer, unless indicated otherwise. The above image is of a Siberian Rubythroat, taken in Holland in 2016.

Saturday, 7 December 2013

Argentatus?

Whilst my wife Karen went into town, I decided to have a look at Radipole. My decision was rewarded with finding a Scandinavian Herring Gull. This has become a very rare beast locally. It really threw me though this bird. This bird was a brute and to be honest, I almost overlooked it as a Great Black-backed Gull due to plumage similarities. Let me know what you think.


1st-calendar year bird with 2nd-calendar year Herring Gull.

Here it is again, this time with a 3rd-calendar year Herring Gull.


Here it is with a Great Black-backed Gull.

With more Great Black-backed Gulls.

And now for a closer look.








A 1st-calendar year Great Black-backed Gull for a comparison.

No comments: