This blog is about my birding exploits, which mainly take place in the Weymouth/Portland area, in Dorset. Will also include stuff from elsewhere, plus some other critters too. Hope you enjoy. All photographs are © Brett Spencer, unless indicated otherwise. The above image is of a Siberian Rubythroat, taken in Holland in 2016.

Tuesday, 22 April 2014

Migrants

After Peter Moore's bombshell Northern Harrier find yesterday, it was off to Portland today. Was on a family day out yesterday, as it was my wedding anniversary. One wonders where I would have been, if I hadn't been otherwise engaged. I still may not have seen it though. Holy shit, how bad I would have felt if that had happened, eh?

Anyway, back to today and although I couldn't get out early, it was clear there were lots of migrants around today. The best I could manage were 4 Pied Flycatchers, 1, possibly 2 Grasshopper Warblers, a couple of Garden Warblers and 20 Redstarts. Willow Warblers and Wheatears were the most conspicuous migrants, with 300 of the latter seen.



This male Pied Flycatcher showed well in Suckthumb Quarry.

And finally, the bread and butter of today's migrants.

Wheatear.

Willow Warbler.

1 comment:

Peter Moore said...

Really excellent Pied Fly pictures. That's the main reason I went to Portland yesterday - but didn't see one!