This blog is about my birding exploits, which mainly take place in the Weymouth/Portland area, in Dorset. Will also include stuff from elsewhere, plus some other critters too. Hope you enjoy. All photographs are © Brett Spencer, unless indicated otherwise. The above image is of a Siberian Rubythroat, taken in Holland in 2016.

Sunday, 13 July 2014

Two Dorset Ticks, But They're Not Birds

As you may, or may not be aware, I've had a bit of a bad spell recently, some of it of course, brought on by myself. 78 people responded to the poll about the blog and to it's supporters, I give you a heartfelt thankyou. To it's, or rather, my detractors, I can only ask, why on earth do you read or look at this shit. I don't know, maybe it's so you can stick and twist the knife in further to my increasingly screwed up head. Anyway, I think I have paid for my sins, having lost my job. Luckily though, having been out of work for just one day, I landed myself another full-time job, which I started last Wednesday. I can only hope I turn a few corners from this and that my utter hatred for living will eventually subside. It is only my wife and daughters that keep me going. The nature thing is purely an escape from reality, albeit, an extremely pleasurable one.

Anyway, back to them ticks, and I'm not on about blood suckers. Last Friday I took the opportunity to look for Continental Swallowtail butterflies that had been seen at St. Aldhelms Head. The weather wasn't perfect, but luckily the weather broke for a short period, during which I managed to see 2 individuals. Both were tatty, but beggars can be choosers and I'm sure there will be another chance to see some pristine individuals when, hopefully, a second brood emerges. 



Individual 1.

The far tattier individual 2.

Back to yesterday now. And thanks to Nick for a great day out. The target species this time was Purple Emperor. We managed to see only 1, but 1 is all you need.


Only the one record shot was managed.

I've now seen 49 species of butterfly in Dorset. I wonder what will be my 50th?

Now for a few pics from recent times.


Baby Moorhen on Lodmoor.

Oystercatcher on Lodmoor.

Raven on Portland.

Guillemots on Portland.


Kittiwakes on Portland.

Female Southern Hawker in Wareham Forest.

Male Downy Emerald in Wareham Forest.

Baby Sika Deer in Wareham Forest.


Male Yellowhammer at Batcombe.

Tufted Duck family at Radipole Lake.

Baby Little Grebes at Radipole Lake.


Male Marsh Harrier with rodent prey.




Juvenile Peregrines at St. Aldhelms Head.

No comments: