This blog is about my birding exploits, which mainly take place in the Weymouth/Portland area, in Dorset. Will also include stuff from elsewhere, plus some other critters too. Hope you enjoy. All photographs are © Brett Spencer, unless indicated otherwise. The above image is of a Siberian Rubythroat, taken in Holland in 2016.

Sunday, 9 November 2014

Peter Knight

It was with great sadness that I heard of the sudden passing of Peter and my heart goes out to his family at this time. Peter and indeed his wife Eileen, were more than just birding acquaintances, they were close family friends. 

His birding had taken a back seat since the birth of his grandchildren and I know he spent many happy times with them in Hungary, where they lived. He loved them with all his heart and couldn't get enough of them. 

Peter did have health problems in recent years, which also affected his birding, but his passing away came as a great shock to everyone. 

I've spent some wonderful times with Peter including going on holiday to Scotland with his wife and my family, where we were treated to our first views of Pine Martin. One particular trip with Peter I shall never forget was the day we twitched the Porthmadog Ivory Gull. Having found the Harbour Porpoise corpse it was feeding on, we both stood and waited. After a short while, the apparition of a stunning adult Ivory Gull flew in and landed before us. We were the only people there watching it and sharing that moment with him will stay with me forever. The trip back was just as memorable, as he took the scenic route back through the glorious countryside of Wales, a country he truly loved and he did it for my benefit to share that passion.

Peter Knight with my daughters when they were younger. Thanks for being a great friend, you will be truly missed.

I'm sure Peter wouldn't have minded, but I'm gonna take about birds now.

The day started with a call about a Greenland White-fronted Goose at Abbotsbury Swannery. Always the sucker for a goose, I headed out there. A Firecrest on arrival was a visual treat, but the goose had flown. The Green-winged Teal put in an appearance on the meadow whilst looking for the goose and I was present when Steve Hales was ringing a few Lesser Redpolls that he had trapped earlier. Compensation for dipping was to come, when Steve Groves informed me that he had located a Surf Scoter on The Fleet at Clouds Hill, whilst he was carrying out the WeBS count. He very kindly took me out there where the bird was and after dipping on the 2 previous Fleet records, it was great to finally secure this species for me Fleet list.


1st-winter male Surf Scoter.

Firecrest.


Male Lesser Redpoll.

6 adult Pale-bellied Brent Geese and a Cetti's Warbler on The Fleet, at Lynch Cove, were the only other birds of note seen today.

1 comment:

Bomber said...

Nice eulogy Brett.