This blog is about my birding exploits, which mainly take place in the Weymouth/Portland area, in Dorset. Will also include stuff from elsewhere, plus some other critters too. Hope you enjoy. All photographs are © Brett Spencer, unless indicated otherwise. The above image is of a Siberian Rubythroat, taken in Holland in 2016.

Sunday, 14 December 2014

Caspo The Friendly Gull

What an appalling title for a blog post, but it did put a wry smile on my face, so had to do it. Sorry. Anyway, back to what it's all about and that is Dave Chown's lovely 1st-winter Caspian Gull, that he found at Radipole Lake today. A mad dash from home was in order, as these things have a habit of not hanging around. Luckily it stayed put. Here are me pics.

Only the 6th I've seen in Dorset, all of which have been 1st-winters like this bird. Have found 4 of those myself, one of which was the first record for Britain, which is mad.







Check out it's pooey nappy.

I have been out birding this weekend, with my main aim being to find a rare insectivorous bird, but I wasn't rewarded unfortunately. Several Common Chiffchaffs and a single Blackcap was all I could muster. Pants isn't it? Had to take my daughter to the docs, so whilst she was there, I took time out to have another look at the Redcliff Point Richard's PipitExcellent views were my reward. A cracking bird!






No comments: