This blog is about my birding exploits, which mainly take place in the Weymouth/Portland area, in Dorset. Will also include stuff from elsewhere, plus some other critters too. Hope you enjoy. All photographs are © Brett Spencer, unless indicated otherwise. The above image is of a Siberian Rubythroat, taken in Holland in 2016.

Friday, 5 December 2014

More Taxonomic Crap

In relation to a recent post about taxonomy, firstly a correction. Got the Latin names of the Black Redstarts screwed up. Should be as follows:

Western Black Redstart Phoenicurus gibraltariensis
Eastern Black Redstart Phoenicurus ochruros

Now, back to this post. All of this shit is my own opinion, which I have to say, is pretty spot on the money. If you don't like it, well, let me think now. Oh yeah, I don't care. He he. hehe. He. Ha.

Iceland Gull - Now becomes three species

Thayer's Gull Larus thayeri
Kumlien's Gull Larus kumlieni
Iceland Gull Larus glaucoides

Southern Grey Shrike - the form L.m. pallidirostris, that turns up in Britain, should be treated as a species in it's own right.

Steppe Grey Shrike Lanius pallidirostris

Name changes

White-fronted Goose becomes Greater White-fronted Goose.
Greenland Goose becomes Greenland White-fronted Goose.
Common Nightingale becomes Western Nightingale.
Western Black Redstart becomes Black Redstart.
Eastern Black Redstart becomes Kashmir Redstart.
Eastern Olivaceous Warbler becomes Olivaceous Warbler.
Western Bonelli's Warbler becomes Bonelli's Warbler.
Eastern Bonelli's Warbler becomes Balkan Warbler.
Steppe Grey Shrike becomes Saxaul Grey Shrike.

Catagory C species to be removed from British List.

Egyptian Goose
Mandarin
Ruddy Duck
Red-legged Partridge
Capercaillie
Pheasant
Lady Amherst's Pheasant
Golden Pheasant
Little Owl
Ring-necked Parakeet

A few things explained

From the last post about about taxonomic changes, some of you may be wondering what White-throated Wagtail is. Well, from the Latin name, it obviously includes the form known as Ashy-headed Wagtail, but it also includes the form known as Spanish Wagtail.

Back to this post now and some of you may be surprised by Kumlien's Gulls elevation to species. Whilst this is a very variable taxon, it is my opinion that it acts as a good species. I think the hybrid swarm hypothesis is a load of tosh. Based on the fact that Iceland Gull is more closely related to Glaucous Gull than it is to Kumlien's Gull and that Kumlien's Gulls vocalizations are not intermediate between Thayer's and Iceland Gull, I think treating it as a species in it's own right is the only way forward, until proved otherwise.

You may have noticed that I haven't split the Brents or Bean Geese. I'm not dismissing it completely, but I remain to be entirely convinced. Also, I thought it would frustrate some people in the same way the BOU does. 

The name changes I think is the best way forward and some of them sound quite sexy, me thinks. Okay, maybe sexy is the wrong word, but come on, Kashmir Redstart, HELL YEAH!!!

Fuck knows what my British List is now? Oh yeah, I don't care.

No comments: