This blog is about my birding exploits, which mainly take place in the Weymouth/Portland area, in Dorset. Will also include stuff from elsewhere, plus some other critters too. Hope you enjoy. All photographs are © Brett Spencer, unless indicated otherwise. The above image is of a Siberian Rubythroat, taken in Holland in 2016.

Sunday, 24 May 2015

The Dorset Blockers That Have Recently Fallen.

A blog post, after all this time? Yeah, I know, but I thought I'd revisit this subject. 

Since I wrote those two articles, in April/May 2014, several species have finally given themselves up, giving most people a Dorset tick or two. Let's see which ones they are then.

Red-footed Falcon - Blocker for 20 years.
Temminck's Stint - Blocker for 17 years.
Bonaparte's Gull - Blocker for 34 years.
Hooded Crow - Blocker for 17 years.
Bonelli's Warbler - Blocker for 30 years.
Cirl Bunting - Blocker for 23 years.

Oh, if that Little Bustard had fallen for the masses also.


The super confiding 1st-year Bonaparte's Gull at Radipole Lake was a Dorset tick for me.

The 1st-summer female Red-footed Falcon at Wareham. Like the species above, surprisingly rare in the county.

No comments: