This blog is about my birding exploits, which mainly take place in the Weymouth/Portland area, in Dorset. Will also include stuff from elsewhere, plus some other critters too. Hope you enjoy. All photographs are © Brett Spencer, unless indicated otherwise. The above image is of a Siberian Rubythroat, taken in Holland in 2016.

Thursday, 29 October 2015

Well, I Might As Well Show You Some Stuff

Ok, recently I said I wouldn't post photos for fear of looking like I'm gloating. Well, I had a grump on at the time, which is something that happens quite often, especially this year. Could be I'm slowly loosing my marbles. Anyways, have changed me mind and thought I would post photos on me blog at least. So, this post will be a bit of a catch up. The pics on this blog are to revel at birds beauty and to share exciting moments in time. Hope you enjoy.

So, for the last couple of weeks I've been on holiday and have been birding locally, with a day trip to Norfolk. I was going to go away for a few days when in Norfolk, but felt very homesick and had to come straight home. This felt very strange, indeed, it freaked me out.

But let's look at the beginning of October for a minute. The first weekend produced a Red-veined Darter and a Treecreeper in the Suckthumb Quarry area on Shit Rock.

Love the blue lower part of the eye on these things.

The wing detail showed this was just a Common.

Back to Shit Rock next day and Barrel Jellyfish drifting south off the Bill was quite a sight.

This one was particularly stunning.


In the afternoon, found a Yellow-browed Warbler in the Portland Castle area.


Not a surprise to bump into one of these, considering how many there has been in the country.

The following weekend was very quiet, or should I say shit.

Male Southern Hawker at Middlebere was the only thing I lifted my camera for during this dismal weekend.

Then my holiday started. I paid an old patch of mine a visit first, Littlesea on The Fleet. Well, it was dead, the only compensation being a returning Black Brant in Lynch Cove.

In case you're struggling, it's the one in the middle.

Next day, a bash round Shit Rock didn't produce much, other than a Ring Ouzel, Dartford Warbler and 5 Crossbills.


Male Ring Ouzel.

Then it was off to Norfolk. The object of my desire was a bogey bird for me. I wasn't to be disappointed.

The stunning Olive-backed Pipit at Muckleburgh Hill.




One of the best birds I've ever seen. Such a gorgeous and characterful pipit.

This was the start of a truly unremarkable day. Next on the agenda, the first of 2 Isabelline Shrikes. I later saw another at Holkham.

This one was at Beeston Regis.
  
Wells Wood was next stop, where I saw a trio of goodies.


Highlight here was a Red-flanked Bluetail. I saw another at Holkham at the end of the day.
 
Just down the path was this...


...delightful Pallas's Warbler. In the same area, saw the Hume's Warbler too, which thankfully was rather vocal. Also heard a Yellow-browed Warbler in Wells Wood. Didn't have time to look for the Blyth's Reed Warbler 'cause of the fucking car park ticket.

Olive-backed Pipit (lifer for me), 2 Isabelline Shrikes, 2 Red-flanked Bluetails, Pallas's and Hume's Warblers in one day, and I got fucking homesick. Weird!!!

Got home and after that, everything since has been an anticlimax. 3 more Yellow-browed Warblers found, with singles heard only at Easton and Abbotsbury Swannery and an elusive bird seen at Moonfleet.

Pishing does work sometimes.

Now, why couldn't the Yellow-browed at Moonfleet show as well as this Chiffchaff did at Osmington Mills.

Other October staples this week have included the Merlin above, plus more Ring Ouzels, Firecrests and great numbers of Goldcrests, the later, the best showing for years.

And, why oh why, is every Wheatear I clap my eyes on just a Northern. Would dearly love to find that rare one.

Certainly, the highlight so far this week has been the Continental Coal Tits (see the posts below).

Today, I succumbed to twitching another Pallas's Warbler. This one was on Shit Rock.





Little stunners!!!

Shit me, that was a rambling crock of shite wasn't it? Well, hope you enjoyed all that, you sad fuckers, and if you didn't, well, tough buggery, you miserable c...., ah, ah now Brett, behave yourself.

No comments: