This blog is about my birding exploits, which mainly take place in the Weymouth/Portland area, in Dorset. Will also include stuff from elsewhere, plus some other critters too. Hope you enjoy. All photographs are © Brett Spencer, unless indicated otherwise. The above image is of a Siberian Rubythroat, taken in Holland in 2016.

Saturday, 6 August 2016

Caspian Gull at Southwold, Suffolk

Though there was a Purple Gallinule to enjoy, I must admit, it was the chance of seeing a Caspian Gull that was at the forefront of my mind. Seeing that there were 2 juveniles the previous day at Southwold Quay, we decided to pay a visit. On arrival there were no Caspos on view. After a little wait though, I picked up a juvenile flying in. I then located it on the harbour wall with other large gulls. This was the first juvenile I'd seen of this species, so I was rather excited.


This particular individual was colour ringed.




Lovely patterning on the rear neck.

Note, there are a couple of new 1st-winter scapulars coming through.




The closest living relative of this species is the Giraffe.



In certain postures, looked very snouty.




It totally failed the bread test. ;-)





STONKING!!!

2 comments:

Martin Rey said...

Great bird and beautiful pictures. Nice blog too.

Martinreybirdwatching

Brett said...

Cheers.