This blog is about my birding exploits, which mainly take place in the Weymouth/Portland area, in Dorset. Will also include stuff from elsewhere, plus some other critters too. Hope you enjoy. All photographs are © Brett Spencer, unless indicated otherwise. The above image is of a Siberian Rubythroat, taken in Holland in 2016.

Sunday, 18 December 2016

My Highlights Of 2016 Part 2

Now to bore you with my July to December best bits.

JULY

Great Knot in Norfolk. A new bird for me.

Great White Egret in Somerset.

Little Bittern in Somerset.

AUGUST

Purple Gallinule in Suffolk. Potentially the first for Britain, and as such, a British tick for me.

Caspian Gull in Suffolk.

Garganey at Radipole Lake.

Yellow-legged Gull at Radipole Lake.

SEPTEMBER

Citrine Wagtail at Radipole Lake. A self find and Dorset tick.

Woodchat Shrike on The Fleet.

Ortolan Bunting on The Fleet.

OCTOBER

Siberian Accentor in Yorkshire. A new bird for me and one of the highlights of the year. This individual was part of the ornithological events of our time.

Shore Lark in Yorkshire.

Hen Harrier at Portland Bill.

NOVEMBER

Lapland Bunting on The Fleet.

Bewick's Swans at Radipole Lake.

DECEMBER

Masked Wagtail in Pembrokeshire. A new taxa for me and my personal highlight of the year.

Cattle Egrets at Nottington.

In summary, I've not had the best of years, in fact, I've not enjoyed 2016 one bit. Birding in Dorset has been nothing short of fucking hard work. Only one site seems to be improving in quality and that is Lytchett Fields. I've witnessed the continued deterioration of the Weymouth reserves and The Fleet and Portland aren't much better.

I'd like to be more optimistic about the future, but it's difficult when you live in an area that's nothing short of shit. I, like others, have sat back and watched in envy the news of Shetland and the North Easts Autumn. Locally, it wouldn't have been half bad, if the fucking good stuff stuck around long enough. 

My luck this year was so shit, dipping on various things and not being offered lifts for stuff.

Here's hoping for a better 2017. I'd like to find more goodies. I'd like to get a new job, I'd like there to be a summer, I'd like to spend the end of September and the whole of October in the Spurn area or on Shetland and I want to feel healthier. I'd like to like living a little bit more than hating it.

So, let love be with you folks and goodbye, as this is my last post ever. I will still be putting shit on Twitter, but this blog has had its day.

       THE  END

3 comments:

DorsetDipper said...

Sorry to see the end of your blog Brett. Thanks for all your posts, always outstanding photos and expert commentary. Sincere best wishes for 2017.

Dave Helliar said...

Sorry you're ending this blog Brett. Enjoy seeing your excellent photos.
Hope 2017 is a better, bird filled year for you.
Catch up soon :-)

Sheil.edwards said...

Sorry you're ending this blog Brett ... all the best for a better year in 2017. Sheila x